Friday, November 6, 2009

NEW INTAKE ETC.

First, an Oil Change to record:
October 28, at 27,565 miles.

I've installed Flyin Miata's Complete Intake Package, and a larger intercooler, which by the way looks much cooler!

The Complete Intake Kit

Drove to Indy to have my cousin's help for all this. The Intake package consisted of the intake itself, a stronger throttle body inlet pipe, (the rubber oem unit is reported to expand and even blow off under increased power), a manual boost controller, a new blowoff valve, and an 02 signal modifier.

I delayed installing the 02 signal modifier, so that I could see the results of the rest by itself, and then see the change the modifier makes. Big difference. Okay, with all the rest installed, I CLEARLY had more power! But not all of those additional horsies were working until I hit about 5000 rpms. To test the difference before and after the 02 signal modifier, I did several identical runs starting from 4k rpms in 4th gear, both before and after installing the modifier. Before, I would have nice power from 4k rpms, but then at about 5k it would really start laying down the power. After, I had all that additional power immediately, from 4k all the way up. :)

BEFORE

AFTER

Then it was time for the intercooler. Flyin Miata has a very nice one available for over $500. A more popular solution among 'Speed Miata owners are the units available on eBay for around $50-60. The typical choice is 28" long, 7" tall, and 2.5" thick. Installing it requires a bit of a rearrangement of the power steering lines, and the top couple of inches is not in the direct air flow through the mouth of the Miata. So instead of that unit, I bought a similar unit on eBay that was only 5.5" tall. No rearranging of the power steering lines, the whole thing is in direct air flow, AND I just feel a little more comfortable with the radiator not being quite as blocked. Intercooler cost was $37 plus shipping, plus some silicone couplers and clamps. The front end looks MUCH nicer now, with this wide aluminum intercooler instead of that little factory unit.

Factory Intercooler

New Intercooler

More info still to be added.....
(some special touches in these installations, and before/after dyno runs)

6 comments:

Roland Schaer said...

Just wondering if you ever got the "after" duno numbers on the intake install. I'm thinking of upgrading my 2004. Also, hows the new IC working out?

Jim said...

Hi. I just bought a MSM, not as nice as yours though. I really like the intercooler and will eventually get the intake from FM. I don't know what makes a good or bad intercooler, but yours look awesome. Could you please point to the items that you bought, same me a bit of time :)?

Darryl said...

ROLAND: Yeah, I did do the "after" dyno test, but it turned out my boost wasn't working quite right, which is why I didn't post the numbers. But the result was 169, up nearly 20. I was expecting more like 175 or a bit more, and suspect that maybe I have it now that everything is working, but I haven't paid for another new dyno run yet. The IC gives no problems and looks great! :)

Darryl said...

JIM: Sorry for the delayed answer. I kinda forgot about this blog for a while. Don't know if you're still IC shopping or not, but here goes...

I'm no expert on IC's, but they are a pretty simple thing. Many MSM owners have bought the cheap Chinese-made units from US sellers (on ebay) like I did, and I've heard of none of them having any issues/problems...nor have I had any problems. I mean, it's $40-$60, versus $500+ for Flyin Miata's IC. Why not try it? Not to knock FM (I love them!), but their IC just doesn't seem to be worth it.

To find mine, search ebaymotors for "intercooler miata cxracing". The most common unit for the MSM is 27/28" long, and 2.5" thick. Most MSM owners have gotten the 7" tall unit, but I and a few others have gotten the 5.5" unit: Still seems to be plenty of cooling, still fills the mouth of the Miata, a bit easier to install, and leaves more air flow for the radiator. Here's a couple links to the two sizes, in case you see my response while these 2 auctions are still active:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CXRacing-INTERCOOLER-MIATA-RX7-RX8-GTI-FMIC-28x5-5x2-5-/390079453947?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5ad28c1afb#ht_5862wt_1165

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CXRacing-INTERCOOLER-28X7X2-5-MIATA-RX-7-RX-8-MAZDA-3-/390082140061?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5ad2b5179d#ht_5714wt_1165

By the way, if you haven't found the mazda-speed.com forum yet, it's just for MSM owners, and has a ton of good information and cool helpful owners!

Simon Schempp said...

Whoa, it looks fierce! That intercooler sure makes a statement. How fast does she run? I bet she's way faster than the speedy Miata.

Unknown said...

Hello! i like your write up. do you have any advice for installing an FM intake kit? I am having troubles installing mine.